Wednesday, April 24, 2013

goat cheese

Yesterday we added another goat to the farm. Brie will hopefully grow into a healthy milk producing powerhouse. We hope to make plenty of cheese from her production. Speaking of cheese, I milked Iris yesterday and we claimed 3/4 of a gallon. The process was tiring on my hands but as I got the rhythm she was relieved to have less pressure in her udder. The farmers cheese was tasty straight from the pot and should be even better today as it has had time to ripen a little. Below is a picture of the cheese.

The recipe was simple: 3/4 a gallon of milk ( goat milk) warm slowly to just below a simmering boil. This is easier to do with a gas stove than an electric one. I let it warm slowly for 1/2 an hour so as not to burn the cheese. When it was to  heat I added 1/4-1/2 cup of red wine vinegar. As I stir in the vinegar the curd separates from the whey. I removed it fro the heat and poured it through a linen cloth into a jar. This allows the curd to ball up in the clothe and the whey to pass into the jar. It is basic and smile and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment